Wednesday, January 15, 2014

the media

This semester I am taking a Media, Family and Human development. Since there is also some craze or hype about some type of media (the news, effects of Facebook, videogames, texting, etc) I am excited to learn more through this class and be a better critical thinker about media. For part of our assignments we are supposed to write in a blog twice a week about something media related. So if you start seeing a bunch of video clips or my opinion about certain things in the media, that is why. :) I just thought you deserve a heads up.

Josh seems to come across the best videos, whether it be through YouTube or KSL, they are always entertaining. I tend to get my video clips from classes that I have (probably because my internet time is more spent on Pinterest or Instagram). I watched this video clip in my Adult Development and Aging class this semester (sorry classmates that have already seen this first one) and I thought it was so interesting! Check out the 14 year old girl who has a disease called Progeria that makes your body age about 8 times faster than everyone else's.



And then just after watching this video, Josh saw this in the news:


I think I am guilty of taking the time I have on earth for granite. I seem to always be looking forward to the next phase in life. I am a planner and I know that I always want to be prepared for the future and know what is coming next. Over the past couple years especially I have tried to slow down and enjoy the small moments that make up my life (one of the reasons that I have this blog). After watching this video I even more feel that I should treasure the time that I have on earth and the health and abilities that my bodies has too. These few young kids who suffer from Progeria are so strong and so positive about their life and they are simply inspiring.

Someone pointed out in Sunday school this week that the 13th Article of Faith says that we should SEEK after good and praiseworthy things in life.  It was such a simple thought but one that really hit me in the moment. And in connection with my many thoughts on media lately, I thought it was particularly relevant. I should actively look for good, uplifting things in the media. Good video clips, articles, role models, music, etc. to help uplift, motivate, and inspire me. I love it and I think I will do just that.

No comments:

Post a Comment