Wednesday, January 29, 2014

New York Doll

This past week I watched the documentary New York Doll for the first time. If you've never seen it and you're looking for a little mix up in your movie choice, I would suggest this documentary. It is about Arthur Kane, member of the New York Dolls band and about his transformation in life. He was into drugs and partying and he basically throws his success, family, and life down the drain because of these things. But it then describes how he ended up becoming a strong member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and where he went from there.

For me it really drove home the idea that we can never judge what people need in their life, who will or will not accept religion in their life and really how we have no room to judge anyone and their lives. We all have our own journey of discovery, and no two journeys look the same! 

A quote on Facebook has been going around that says something along the lines that we don't walk into a gym and decide not to join because there are people who are fat or don't have perfect bodies so we shouldn't walk into church and think that we don't want to join or a be a part of it because there are imperfect members or "hypocrites". Church is for imperfect people who need God, not for perfect people. If people were able to be perfect, they wouldn't really need God. It just reminded me to never judge those around me, always invite friends and others with me to church and activities, and ease up on myself that I am also not a perfect being and I need to be at church and always seeking God's help. 


1 comment:

  1. Great insight. I will have to watch it. I love stories about people and how they transform. We all need God and it's wonderful. I'm glad he's in charge because he knows everything. :)

    ReplyDelete