Saturday, February 23, 2013

valentines day

So many things that I like about this picture :)

I've always been a grouch about Valentine's Day. I felt like the huge balloons, big teddy bears and large amounts of PDA were just too much and almost fake. Even last year when we were engaged I told Josh that I didn't want to make a big deal out of it (I honestly can't even remember what we did). But this year I felt a little different. I actually was craving a little more attention. Maybe that is because we (Josh) had just been so busy lately and I missed spending more time with him. Or maybe it was just a little bit of a pity party fit that I was throwing. Either way, I actually cared about doing something this year.

Well we went out to Olive Garden the night before Vday and had a very delicious meal! Oh man, it really hit the spot! After dinner, we drove up to the base of Y mountain to check out the city lights. It is our special spot. It is where Josh asked me to "tie the knot and marry him" as he presented me with an amazing string as my ring. It was absolutely perfect.

And then on Valentines Day, I didn't even SEE hubby all day. I was at school and work and so was he. He was scheduled for a double shift. I felt a little bitter that they had him working two shifts and that he was also closing, but that is just what comes with this whole growing up thing, doesn't it?

But when I woke up that morning and made my way into the kitchen, I saw the cutest note. He had put up a couple pictures that we had with a bowl of M&Ms, and a little note just for me! It was PERFECT! It was that little boost that I really needed. That extra bit of lovin' that I had been after. Later that evening when I came home from work I noticed a note spelled out on our bed using the letters from our Banana grams game! Another surprise! I can't explain how happy I was, even though I knew that I wouldn't even see Josh until the next day. Those simple, heart felt notes were amazing and reminded me of the understanding, love and sensitivity that my hubs has for me. He knew that was what I needed. He knew that I didn't need something big or fancy or showy. I am amazed how well that boy really does know my heart, even when I don't.

It was a simple Valentine's Day, but it was special to me and I absolutely loved it. Maybe my grouchy attitude for this day will be gone forever as I recognize that it is about love, not just for a boyfriend or spouse, but a love for people, a love for life and a love for God. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment