Thursday, January 24, 2013

the end of a cherished streak

Today was one of those days where you walk outside your house and want to literally turn right back around and not come out for the rest of the day. I was so close to doing this, so close! I got a text from Josh letting me know that it was raining a little bit outside so I might want an umbrella or something. I thought, ok sweet, and got my stuff and headed out the door. The first thing I hear -- a couple yelps and laughing. The first thing I see -- people falling all down our street. It was 20 degrees and drizzling causing EVERYTHING to be frozen over. I had my snow boots on and I still doubted if I would even be able to get to campus. Well, I took one step, and I was fine. I took two steps and I was fine (holding on to the car as I made my way down the driveway) and step three, well that was the end. I completely fell down our driveway right onto my knees!  Ouch. It hurt so bad and I hate ice so much I kinda just wanted to cry right there. I got up, brushed myself off and just stared down the street for a solid minute. I really wanted to turn around and not make the trek up to campus.

But, I had classes to go to and work to get done. So I set out on my journey. About 2 minutes into the walk I came across this cute girl, dressed in a skirt and fashionable boots. I could tell she was struggling and that she needed help to get over the frozen snow mound blocking her from crossing the street. I took her arm, and helped her over. I had no idea who she was, but we became friends at that moment as we locked arms and continued on our journey. She explained that she was from China and had never experienced this kind of weather before. I told her neither had I and that it definitely was not normal. She continued to tell me how she already fell that morning and was scared to death to fall again. She had hit her head and scrapped up her arm pretty good. The poor thing did not even have gloves or tights on. So I held her up as we made the journey to her class. A walk that usually takes me 10 minutes took me 30! It was incredible, and slow and something I had never witnessed before. People were falling everywhere! And when I finally made it to class, I noticed for the first time that my backpack and coat were completely soaked. I was too busy focusing on my feet to have noticed.

I heard many, many stories about people's adventures in the ice. Some people got concussions, some broke laptops in their backpack, some broke limbs, some had blood streaming from their face (Josh saw this one), and many had bruised bums, legs and arms. I was astonished that BYU did not close down campus and I still think they should have. But it made for quite the adventure today. I made a new friend, broke my record of never falling on ice or snow at BYU (shame, I worked so hard) and saw lots of fun ice skating moves that I hope to never see again unless I am ice skating.

Check this video out and you will get an idea of what my day was like.




No comments:

Post a Comment