Saturday, January 5, 2013

resolutions




I always have a love-hate relationship with new year's resolutions. As kids I remember my sisters joking with my parents around this time of year saying, "Why set goals? You will just be disappointed when you don't do them. That is why I don't set goals." Or something along those lines. They were kidding, but I still find myself wanting to think like this sometimes. Goals are easy and fun to make, but extra hard to keep. Especially because that list you just made will probably get lost in the trash or forgotten on your computer in a month anyway. And because being extra healthy and 100% in my scripture reading seems impossible thinking about the whole year at a time.

I do love goal setting though because it gets me excited thinking about how I can become a better person and become the person that I really want to be. It helps me explore who I am and what I want in life. It helps me think of where I have been and who I will be. I look back on this past year, and I don't remember a single goal I set the year before at new years. but I remember things through out the year that I wanted to accomplish. I also see a lot of change that has taken place in me. I feel like I have grown, in ways I will never recognize or even appreciate in the moment, but cherish looking back on.

So as I keep this in mind for this new year and the goals that I want to accomplish, my list looks a little different than most years. I still have things written down that I want to do, but I have a different mindset on how I want to accomplish them. I want to start off each month with a renewed attitude of doing and being better about the goals in mind instead of thinking about my goals with next December as my final destination. This is a journey to discover myself, grow closer to my husband and grow closer to God and as I go through out the year I will hold on to those things and not let go. These things are the most important and as long as I give it my all, I will call each day a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment