Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mormons and Coffee?

Josh and I were driving and I saw this sign that I thought this was a pretty ironic sign to see. "Free Coffee with BYU ID". If you don't understand why that is ironic, I'll give a brief explanation. BYU is a school with a majority of LDS students. Well being LDS we believe in something called the Word of Wisdom. On lds.org it states explains that "The Word of Wisdom is a law of health revealed by the Lord for the physical and spiritual benefit of His children. On February 27, 1833, as recorded in section 89 of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord revealed which foods are good for us to eat and which substances are not good for the human body. He also promised health, protection, knowledge, and wisdom to those who obey the Word of Wisdom." Included in the Word of Wisdom is no drinking hot drinks, such as coffee. So when I saw the sign that says free coffee with BYU ID, I wasn't sure what these people were trying to do. Was it a joke? Or just a genuine try to get BYU student in to their store? Either way, I got a good enough laugh to pull aside and take a picture.




“One keeps the Word of Wisdom knowing that obedience will not only bring freedom from addiction, but it will also add blessings of wisdom and treasures of knowledge.”
—Russell M. Nelson

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, that's hilarious!! Definitely picture worthy!

    ReplyDelete