Sunday, February 9, 2014

Life with Big Al




Have you ever heard of this book? I just finished reading it for my adult development and aging class and it was pretty humbling and informative. It is a wife's diary of her experiences with her husband who around the age of 50 started experiencing symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease, and who died just 3 years later. They called Alzheimer's "Big Al". He was a perfectly healthy man, who ran 10-15 miles every day of his life. It was hard for everyone to grasp that such a healthy guy would get Alzheimer's. The book is an incredible witness of love and devotion that Judy, the wife, had as she took care of her quickly deteriorating (yet young) husband. It is amazing the strength that some people in this life have, even when they aren't sure themselves that they have it. If you get a chance to read it, its a pretty quick read but really leaves you thinking about your life and if you're living it the way you really want to be.


1 comment:

  1. I read that book last semester and I loved it! I really changed my perspective on older people and especially Alzheimer's Disease. I would also recommend it to anyone for a quick but life changing read.

    ReplyDelete